January 14, 2010
Course Introduction, Assignment of Student Presentations
January 21, 2010
Marc Diamond, MD: Propagation of protein misfolding in neurodegenerative diseases
Student Presenter(s): Eric Feczko, Dylan McCreedy
- Li JY, et. al., Lewy bodies in grafted neurons in subjects with Parkinson’s disease suggest host-to-graft disease propagation. Nat Med. 2008 May;14(5):501-3.
- Desplats P, et. al., Inclusion formation and neuronal cell death through neuron-to-neuron transmission of alpha-synuclein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 Aug 4;106(31):13010-5.
- Clavaguera F, et. al., Transmission and spreading of tauopathy in transgenic mouse brain. Nat Cell Biol. 2009 Jul;11(7):909-13.
- REVIEW: Frost B, Diamond MI. Prion-like mechanisms in neurodegenerative diseases. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2009 Dec 23.
January 28, 2010
Christina Gurnett, MD/PhD: FEVER and epilepsy, a HOT topic
Student Presenter(s): Nithya Jesuraj, Andrea Lui
- Dubé C, et. al., Temporal lobe epilepsy after experimental prolonged febrile seizures: prospective analysis. Brain. 2006 Apr;129(Pt 4):911-22.
- Berkovic SF, et. al., De-novo mutations of the sodium channel gene SCN1A in alleged vaccine encephalopathy: a retrospective study. Lancet Neurol. 2006 Jun;5(6):488-92.
- REVIEW: Baulac S, et. al., Fever, genes, and epilepsy. Lancet Neurol. 2004 Jul;3(7):421-30.
February 4, 2010
Robert Baloh, MD: Neurobiology of peripheral nerve disease
Student Presenter(s): Julius Kim, Rachel Smith
- Pennuto M, et. al., Ablation of the UPR-mediator CHOP restores motor function and reduces demyelination in Charcot-Marie-Tooth 1B mice. Neuron. 2008 Feb 7;57(3):393-405.
- Tapinos N, et. al., ErbB2 receptor tyrosine kinase signaling mediates early demyelination induced by leprosy bacilli. Nat Med. 2006 Aug;12(8):961-6.
- REVIEW: Nave KA, Trapp BD. Axon-glial signaling and the glial support of axon function. Annu Rev Neurosci. 2008;31:535-61.
February 11, 2010
John Constantino, MD: Neurobiology of autism
Student Presenter(s): Nithya Jesuraj, Mohammad Maktabi
- Mitchell SR, et. al., Neuroanatomic alterations and social and communication deficits in monozygotic twins discordant for autism disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2009 Aug;166(8):917-25.
- Chiu PH, et. al., Self responses along cingulate cortex reveal quantitative neural phenotype for high-functioning autism. Neuron. 2008 Feb 7;57(3):463-73.
- Constantino, JN. Autism as a Quantitative Trait. 2010 Oxford Press.
February 18, 2010
Susan Culican, MD/PhD: Critical periods in clinical medicine: visual system development and amblyopia
Student Presenter(s): Dylan McCreedy, Cunguo Wang
- Beck RW. Randomized trial of treatment of amblyopia in children aged 7 to 17 years. Arch. Ophthalmol. Vol 123. Apr 2005.
- A randomized trial of atropine vs patching for treatment of moderate amblyopia in children. Arch. Ophthalmol. Vol 120. Mar 2002.
- REVIEW: Quinn GE, et. al., Recent advances in the treatment of amblyopia. Pediatrics. 2004;113;1800-1802.
February 25, 2010
Charles Zorumski, MD: Psychiatry and brain networks: A view from the hippocampus
Student Presenter(s): Xiaolu Xu, Lixia Jia
- Airan RD, et. al., High-speed imaging reveals neurophysiological links to behavior in an animal model of depression. Science. 2007 Aug 10;317(5839):819-23.
- Sheline YI, et. al., The default mode network and self-referential processes in depression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 Feb 10;106(6):1942-7.
- REVIEW: Price JL & Drevets WC. Neurocircuitry of Mood Disorders. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010 Jan;35(1):192-216.
March 4, 2010
Bradley Schlaggar, MD/PhD: Tourette Syndrome
Student Presenter(s): Donell Carey, Marie McNeely
- McCairn KW, et. al., The neurophysiological correlates of motor tics following focal striatal disinhibition. Brain 2009 132(8):2125-2138.
- Sowell ER, et. al., Thinning of sensorimotor cortices in children with Tourette syndrome. Nat Neurosci. 2008 Jun;11(6):637-9.
- REVIEW: Ablin RL & Mink JW. Recent advances in Tourette syndrome research. Trends Neurosci. 2006 Mar;29(3):175-82.
March 11, 2010
University Spring Break
March 18, 2010
Christina Lessov-Schlaggar, PhD & Michele Pergadia, PhD: Nicotine Dependence and its Treatment
Student Presenter(s): Jodi Heaps, Xi Lu
- Shiffman S, et. al., Reduction of abstinence-induced withdrawal and craving using high-dose nicotine replacement therapy. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2006 Mar;184(3-4):637-44.
- Kareken DA, et. al., Family history of alcoholism mediates the frontal response to alcoholic drink odors and alcohol in at-risk drinkers. Neuroimage. 2010 Mar;50(1):267-76.
- REVIEW: Baker TB, et. al., Addiction motivation reformulated: an affective processing model of negative reinforcement. Psychol Rev. 2004 Jan;111(1):33-51.
- REVIEW: Hyman SE, et. al., Neural mechanisms of addiction: the role of reward-related learning and memory. Annu Rev Neurosci. 2006;29:565-98.
- BONUS: Goldstein RZ, et. al., The neurocircuitry of impaired insight in drug addiction. Trends Cogn Sci. 2009 Sep;13(9):372-80.
March 25, 2010
Jonathan Mink, MD/PhD: Dystonia – Clinical Features and Pathophysiology
Student Presenter(s): Andrea Lui, Angie Richmond
- Martella G, et. al., Impairment of bidirectional synaptic plasticity in the striatum of a mouse model of DYT1 dystonia: role of endogenous acetylcholine. Brain. 2009 Sep;132(Pt 9):2336-49.
- Sciamanna G, et. al., Impaired striatal D2 receptor function leads to enhanced GABA transmission in a mouse model of DYT1 dystonia. Neurobiol Dis. 2009 Apr;34(1):133-45.
- REVIEW: Breakefield XO, et. al., The pathophysiological basis of dystonias. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2008 Mar;9(3):222-34.
April 1, 2010
David Brody, MD/PhD: Traumatic Axonal Injury
Student Presenter(s): Jodi Heaps, Yasuko Suzuki
- Gennarelli TA, et. al., Diffuse axonal injury and traumatic coma in the primate. Ann Neurol. 1982 Dec;12(6):564-74.
- Niogi SN, et. al., Structural dissociation of attentional control and memory in adults with and without mild traumatic brain injury. Brain. 2008 Dec;131(Pt 12):3209-21.
- REVIEW: Smith DH, et. al., Diffuse axonal injury in head trauma. J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2003 Jul-Aug;18(4):307-16.
April 8, 2010
No Class – Bishop Lecture
April 15, 2010
Terrie Inder, MD: Perinatal brain injury
Student Presenter(s): Marie McNeely, Xiaolu Xu
- Dabydeen L, et. al., High-energy and -protein diet increases brain and corticospinal tract growth in term and preterm infants after perinatal brain injury. Pediatrics. 2008 Jan;121(1):148-56.
- Gozzo Y, et. al., Alterations in neural connectivity in preterm children at school age. Neuroimage. 2009 Nov 1;48(2):458-63.
- REVIEW: Miller SP, Ferriero DM. From selective vulnerability to connectivity: insights from newborn brain imaging. Trends Neurosci. 2009 Sep;32(9):496-505.
- REVIEW: Volpe JJ. The encephalopathy of prematurity–brain injury and impaired brain development inextricably intertwined. Semin Pediatr Neurol. 2009 Dec;16(4):167-78.
April 22, 2010
Gregory Wu, MD/PhD: Multiple Sclerosis: Immune-mediated injury of the central nervous system
Student Presenter(s): Donell Carey, Rachel Smith
- Soulika AM, et. al., Initiation and progression of axonopathy in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Neurosci. 2009 Nov 25;29(47):14965-79.
- Mathey EK, et. al., Neurofascin as a novel target for autoantibody-mediated axonal injury. J Exp Med. 2007 Oct 1;204(10):2363-72.
- REVIEW: Steinman L, Zamvil SS. How to successfully apply animal studies in experimental allergic encephalomyelitis to research on multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol. 2006 Jul;60(1):12-21.
- REVIEW: Dutta R, Trapp BD. Pathogenesis of axonal and neuronal damage in multiple sclerosis. Neurology. 2007 May 29;68.
April 29, 2010
Tim Miller, MD/PhD: Understanding Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Student Presenter(s): Yasuko Suzuki, Xi Lu
- Yamanaka K et al, Astrocytes as determinants of disease progression in inherited amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Nat Neurosci. 2008 Mar;11(3):251-3.
- Kwiatkowski TJ Jr et al, Mutations in the FUS/TLS gene on chromosome 16 cause familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Science. 2009 Feb 27;323(5918):1205-8.
- Vance C et al, Mutations in FUS, an RNA processing protein, cause familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis type 6. Science. 2009 Feb 27;323(5918):1208-11.
- REVIEW: Lagier-Tourenne & Cleveland. Rethinking ALS: the FUS about TDP-43. Cell. 2009 Mar 20;136(6):1001-4. Review.
- REVIEW: Rothstein JD. Current hypotheses for the underlying biology of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Ann Neurol. 2009 Jan;65.
May 6, 2010
Alex Evers, MD: Neurobiology of sedation
Student Presenter(s): Eric Feczko, Mohammad Maktabi
- Pang DS et al., An unexpected role for TASK-3 potassium channels in network oscillations with implications for sleep mechanisms and anesthetic action. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 Oct 13;106(41):17546-51.
- Nelson LE et al., The sedative component of anesthesia is mediated by GABA(A) receptors in an endogenous sleep pathway. Nat Neurosci. 2002 Oct;5(10):979-84.
- REVIEW: Franks NP. General anaesthesia: from molecular targets to neuronal pathways of sleep and arousal. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2008 May;9(5):370-86.