January 17, 2012
- Dr. Weihl’s introductory presentation
- Paper discussed by Dr. Weihl: Arrowsmith J, Trial watch: Phase II failures: 2008 – 2010. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2011 May;10(5):328-9.
- TA presentation
- Sample presentation
January 24, 2012
David Brody, MD, PhD: TBI
Student Presenters: Brian Daniels, Lauren Walker
Secondary Readers: Josiah Gerdts, Matt Vail
- Gennarelli TA, et. al., Diffuse axonal injury and traumatic coma in the primate. Ann Neurol. 1982 Dec;12(6):564-74.
- Tang-Schomer MD, et. al., Mechanical breaking of microtubules in axons during dynamic stretch injury underlies delayed elasticity, microtubule disassembly, and axon degeneration. FASEB J. 2010 May;24(5):1401-10.
- REVIEW: Smith DH, et. al., Diffuse axonal injury in head trauma. J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2003 Jul-Aug;18(4):307-16.
January 31, 2012
Marc Diamond, MD: Tau/prions
Student Presenters: Nisha Iyer, Ashleigh Castner
Secondary Readers: Hao Xu, Charles Shyng
- Munch C, et. al., Prion-like propagation of mutant superoxide dismutase-1 misfolding in neuronal cells. PNAS. 2011 Mar 1;108(9):3548-53.
- Clavaquera F, et. al., Transmission and spreading of tauopathy in transgenic mouse brain. Nat Cell Biol. 2009 Jul;11(7):909-13.
- REVIEW: Frost B and Diamond MI, Prion-like mechanisms in neurodegenerative diseases. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2010 Mar;11(3):155-9.
February 7, 2012
Tim Miller, MD, PhD: ALS
Student Presenters: Sarah Wahlstrom Helgren, Mohit Harsh
Secondary Readers: Shivam Shah, Kaitlin Burlingame
- DeJesus-Hernandez M, et. al., Expanded GGGGCC hexanucleotide repeat in noncoding region of C9ORF72 causes chromosome 9p-linked FTD and ALS. Neuron. 2011 Oct 20;72(2):245-56.
- Renton AE, et. al., A hexanucleotide repeat expansion in C9ORF72 is the cause of chromosome 9p21-linked ALS-FTD. Neuron. 2011 Oct 20;72(2):257-68.
- Deng HX, et. al., Mutations in UBQLN2 cause dominant X-linked juvenile and adult-onset ALS and ALS/dementia. Nature. 2011 Aug 21;477(7363):211-5.
- REVIEW: Rothstein JD. Current hypotheses for the underlying biology of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Ann Neurol. 2009 Jan;65.
February 14, 2012
Beau Ances, MD, PhD: HIV Dementia
Student Presenters: Hao Xu, Shivam Shah
Secondary Readers: Ashleigh Castner, Mohit Harsh
- Ances BM, et. al., HIV infection and aging independently affect brain function as measured by functional magnetic resonance imaging. J Infect Dis. 2010 Feb 1;201(3):336-40.
- Letendre S, et. al., Validation of the CNS Penetration-Effectiveness rank for quantifying antiretroviral penetration into the central nervous system. Arch Neurol. 2008 Jan;65(1):65-70.
- REFERENCE: Antinori A, et. al., Updated research nosology for HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders. Neurology. 2007 Oct 30;69(18):1789-99.
- REVIEW: Heaton RK, et. al., HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders persist in the era of potent antiretroviral therapy: CHARTER Study. Neurology. 2010 Dec 7;75(23):2087-96.
- REVIEW: McArthur JC, et. al., Human immunodeficiency virus-associated neurocognitive disorders: Mind the gap. Ann Neurol. 2010 Jun;67(6):699-714.
- REVIEW: Gannon P, et. al., Current understanding of HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders pathogenesis. Curr Opin Neurol. 2011 Jun;24(3):275-83.
February 21, 2012
Chris Gurnett, MD, PhD: Genetics of Epilepsy
Student Presenters: Ganesh Babulal, Matt Vail
Secondary Readers: Dan O’Brien, Sarah DeVos
- Berkovic SF, et. al., De-novo mutations of the sodium channel gene SCN1A in alleged vaccine encephalopathy: a retrospective study. Lancet Neurol. 2006 Jun;5(6):488-92.
- Schuchmann S, et. al., Experimental febrile seizures are precipitated by a hyperthermia-induced respiratory alkalosis. Nat Med. 2006 Jul;12(7):817-23.
February 28, 2012
Brad Schlaggar, MD, PhD: Tourettes
Student Presenters: Lenny Ramsey, Kaitlin Burlingame
Secondary Readers: Erica Koval, Laura Marquardt
- McCairn KW, et. al., The neurophysiological correlates of motor tics following focal striatal disinhibition. Brain 2009 132(8):2125-2138.
- Sowell ER, et. al., Thinning of sensorimotor cortices in children with Tourette syndrome. Nat Neurosci. 2008 Jun;11(6):637-9.
- REVIEW: Ablin RL & Mink JW. Recent advances in Tourette syndrome research. Trends Neurosci. 2006 Mar;29(3):175-82.
March 6, 2012
Mike Wong, MD, PhD: Epilepsy
Student Presenters: Christine Wroge, Mrinal Pahwa
Secondary Readers: Sarah Wahlstrom Helgren, Thomas Wilems
- Dzhala VI, et. al., NKCC1 transporter facilitates seizures in the developing brain. Nat Med. 2005 Nov;11(11):1205-13.
- Goto J, et. al., Regulable neural progenitor-specific Tsc1 loss yields giant cells with organellar dysfunction in a model of tuberous sclerosis complex. PNAS. 2011 Nov 8;108(45):E1070-9.
March 12, 2012
University Spring Break
March 20, 2012
Chris Weihl, MD, PhD: Protein aggregate mypoathies
Student Presenters: Lin Bai, Mohammad Maktabi
Secondary Readers: Lenny Ramsey, Brian Daniels
- Sarparanta, J., P. H. Jonson, et al. (2012). “Mutations affecting the cytoplasmic functions of the co-chaperone DNAJB6 cause limb-girdle muscular dystrophy.” Nat Genet advance online publication.
- Schessl J, et. al., Proteomic identification of FHL1 as the protein mutated in human reducing body myopathy. J Clin Invest. 2008 Mar;118(3):904-12.
March 27, 2012
Paul Kotzbauer, MD, PhD: Parkinson’s Disease
Student Presenters: Haoxin Sun, Erica Koval
Secondary Readers: Nisha Iyer, Mrinal Pahwa
- Compta Y, et. al., Lewy- and Alzheimer-type pathologies in Parkinson’s disease dementia: which is more important? Brain. 2011 May;134(Pt 5):1493-505.
- Conway KA, et. al., Acceleration of oligomerization, not fibrillization, is a shared property of both alpha-synuclein mutations linked to early-onset Parkinson’s disease: implications for pathogenesis and therapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000 Jan 18;97(2):571-6.
April 3, 2012
Jin-Moo Lee, MD, PhD: Stroke
Student Presenters: Brandon Holmes, Ameair Irqeba
Secondary Readers: Haoxin Sun, Ganesh Babulal
- Herzig MC, et. al., Aβ is targeted to the vasculature in a mouse model of hereditary cerebral hemorrhage with amyloidosis. Nat Neurosci. 2004 Sep;7(9):954-60. Epub 2004 Aug 15.
- McGowan E, et. al., Aβ42 is essential for parenchymal and vascular amyloid deposition in mice. Neuron. 2005 Jul 21;47(2):191-9.
April 10, 2012
No class – Symposium on Translational Neuroscience
April 17, 2012
Robyn Klein, MD, PhD: Neuroimmunology
Student Presenters: Charles Shyng, Laura Marquardt
Secondary Readers: Christine Wroge, Brandon Holmes
- Brien JD, et. al., Key role of T cell defects in age-related vulnerability to West Nile virus. J Exp Med. 2009 Nov 23;206(12):2735-45. Epub 2009 Nov 9.
- Hooper DC, et. al., The Production of Antibody by Invading B Cells Is Required for the Clearance of Rabies Virus from the Central Nervous System. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2009 Oct 6;3(10):e535.
- Review: Lim SM, et. al., West Nile Virus: Immunity and Pathogenesis. Viruses. 2011 Jun;3(6):811-28. Epub 2011 Jun 15.
April 24, 2012
Michael Crowder, MD, PhD: Post-operative cognitive changes/hypoxia
Student Presenters: Thomas Wilems, Dan O’Brien
Secondary Readers: Lin Bai
- Park EC, et. al., Hypoxia regulates glutamate receptor trafficking through an HIF-independent mechanism. EMBO J. 2012 Jan 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Blum ES, et. al., Control of nonapoptotic developmental cell death in Caenorhabditis elegans by a polyglutamine-repeat protein. Science. 2012 Feb 24;335(6071):970-3.
May 1, 2012
Dan Ory, MD: Niemann-Pick C Disease
Student Presenters: Josiah Gerdts, Sarah DeVos
Secondary Readers: Lauren Walker
- Aqul A, et. al., Unesterified cholesterol accumulation in late endosomes/lysosomes causes neurodegeneration and is prevented by driving cholesterol export from this compartment. J Neurosci. 2011 Jun 22;31(25):9404-13.
- Lopez ME, et. al., Anatomically defined neuron-based rescue of neurodegenerative Niemann-Pick type C disorder. J Neurosci. 2011 Mar 23;31(12):4367-78.
- Yu T, et. al., Ryanodine receptor antagonists adapt NPC1 proteostasis to ameliorate lipid storage in Niemann-Pick type C disease fibroblasts. Hum. Mol. Genet. (2012) Epub: April 14, 2012.