January 19, 2016
Chris Weihl, MD, PhD: Course Introduction
January 26, 2016
David Brody, MD, PhD: Traumatic Brain Injury
Student Presenters: Andrew Badachhape, Nicholas White
- Mechanical breaking of microtubules in axons during dynamic stretch injury underlies delayed elasticity, microtubule disassembly, and axon degeneration
- Lipidomics identifies cardiolipin oxidation as a mitochondrial target for redox therapy of brain injury
February 2, 2016
Beau Ances, MD, PhD, MSc: HIV dementia or AD dementia
Student Presenters: Deep Hathi, Jennifer Pardieck
- Does Older Age Confer an Increased Risk of Incident Neurocognitive Disorders Among Persons Living with HIV Disease?
- Cerebral metabolite changes prior to and after antiretroviral therapy in primary HIV infection.
February 9, 2016
Gregory Wu, MD, PhD: Multiple Sclerosis
Student Presenters: Peter Myers, Jie Wen
- Structural and functional features of central nervous system lymphatic vessels.
- Natalizumab plus interferon beta-1a for relapsing multiple sclerosis.
February 16, 2016
Yo-El Ju, MD: Sleep Medicine
Student Presenters: Richard Pham, Peter Wang
- Long-Term Follow-up Investigation of Isolated Rapid Eye Movement Sleep Without Atonia Without Rapid Eye Movement Sleep Behavior Disorder: A Pilot Study
- Risk factors for neurodegeneration in idiopathic rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder: a multicenter study.
February 23, 2016
Joan Luby, MD: Early emotional development
Student Presenters: Kael White, Maria Doulatova
- The effects of poverty on childhood brain development: the mediating effect of caregiving and stressful life events.
- Early Childhood Depression and Alterations in the Trajectory of Gray Matter Maturation in Middle Childhood and Early Adolescence.
March 1, 2016
March 8, 2016
Chris Smyser, MD: Neonatal neurology
Student Presenters: Elinor Harrison, Erin Reinl
- “Concurrent Erythropoietin and Hypothermia Treatment Improve Outcomes in a Term Nonhuman Primate Model of Perinatal Asphyxia”
- “Whole-Body Hypothermia for Neonates with Hypoxic–Ischemic Encephalopathy”
- Erythropoietin and hypothermia for hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy.
- Childhood outcomes after hypothermia for neonatal encephalopathy.
March 15, 2016
March 22, 2016
Alexandre Carter, MD, PhD: Neurorehab
Student Presenters: Kimberly Waddell, Andy Daniel
- Widespread aggregation and neurodegenerative diseases are associated with supersaturated proteins
- Proteomic identification of FHL1 as the protein mutated in human reducing body myopathy
March 29, 2016
Susan Culican, MD, PhD: Retinal degeneration
Student Presenters: Jiyao Zhu, Alex Cammack
- Randomized trial of treatment of amblyopia in children aged 7 to 17 years
- Refinement of the retinogeniculate synapse by bouton clustering
April 5, 2016
Scott Norris, MD: Parkinson’s Disease
Student Presenters: Helen Li, Keith Dyson
- Cerebellothalamocortical connectivity regulates penetrance in dystonia
- MPTP induces dystonia and parkinsonism. Clues to the pathophysiology of dystonia
April 12, 2016
Erik Musiek, MD, PhD: Alzheimer’s Disease
Student Presenters: Brian Lananna, Nikki Maughan
- Dendritic function of tau mediates amyloid-beta toxicity in Alzheimer’s disease mouse models
- Clinical and biomarker changes in dominantly inherited Alzheimer’s disease
April 19, 2016
Susan Searles-Nielsen, PhD: Neuro-Epidemiology
Student Presenter: Katherine Conen
- Traumatic brain injury in later life increases risk for Parkinson disease
- Air pollution from traffic and risk for brain tumors: a nationwide study in Denmark
April 26, 2016
Tim Miller, MD, PhD: ALS
Student Presenters: Jane Hettinger, Matheus Victor