The Hope Center is pleased to announce that Clocks & Sleep Club now is the Hope Center Clocks & Sleep Club. This affiliation reflects an expansion of the existing group, aimed to help promote ongoing research on the role of sleep and circadian rhythms in neurodegenerative disease. The founders and organizers, Erik Herzog and Paul Taghert, will continue in their roles as the group meets monthly to discuss recent advances in the study of biological timing and sleep.
Labs working on biological rhythms include:
Erik Herzog. Molecules, cells and circuits of mammalian circadian timing.
Paul Taghert. Molecules, cells and circuits of insect circadian timing.
Dmitri Nusinow. Circadian regulation of physiology and development in plants.
David Holtzman. The role of normal and disrupted daily rhythms in amyloid beta production and Alzheimer’s Disease progression and therapies.
Michael Hughes. Daily regulation of gene expression.
Shin-Ichiro Imai. Epigenetics of circadian timing and aging.
Yo-El Ju. Sleep and neurological diseases.
Daniel Kerschensteiner. Neural circuits controlling circadian rhythms and sleep.
István Kiss. Coupled oscillator behavior in biological and electrochemical systems.
Brendan Lucey. Sleep and Alzheimer’s disease.
Erik Musiek. The role of clock genes and circadian rhythms in neurodegeneration.
Jeanne Nerbonne. Circadian regulation of excitability and channel biology.
Joshua Rubin. Chronotherapy for brain cancer.
Paul Shaw. Genetics and benefits of sleep.
Students can sign up for and participate in Clocksclub for 1 credit at WashU.
2019/2020 Schedule, Clocks & Sleep Club
1st Friday of the month
BJC Institute of Health 9AB (unless otherwise noted)
- September 6: Jeffrey Haspel (WashU Medicine)“Circadian signatures in chronic lung disease”, Chi-Chan Lee (Kerschensteiner lab, WashU Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences) “Organization and functions of the intergeniculate leaflet”
- October 4: Celia McKee (Musiek lab, WashU Dept. of Neurology) “An Update of Circadian Modulation of Protein Degradation”, Dmitri Nusinow (Donald Danforth Plant Science Center) “Protein interactions within the plant circadian clock”
- October 16*: Boris Kotchoubey (University of Tübingen) “Sleep in disorders of consciousness”
*NOTE special seminar: 2:00pm in Farrell LTC 304
- November 1: Geraldine Kress (WashU Neurology) “Circadian Modulation of Hippocampal Function during Alzheimer’s Disease Pathogenesis”, Paul Taghert (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience) “Hub-organized parallel circuits of central circadian pacemaker neurons for visual photoentrainment in Drosophila”
- December 6: Farshid Guilak (WashU Orthopaedic Surgery) “Designer stem cells for synthetic (chrono)biology: A joint venture”, Chanung Wang (Holtzman lab, WashU Neurology) “‘Identifying interactions between Sleep, APOE genotype, and Neuritic plaque tau pathology”
- January 10*: Herzog lab (WashU Biology), Colonna lab (WashU Pathology & Immunology)
- February 7: Chen lab (WashU Anesthesiology), Eric Landsness (Lee lab, WashU Neurology)
- March 6: Herzog lab (WashU Biology), Kerschensteiner lab (WashU Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences)
- April 3: Chao Zhou (WashU Biomedical Engineering), Musiek lab (WashU Neurology)
- April 10*: Ketema Paul (University of California, Los Angeles)
*NOTE special seminar: 3:30pm in Holden Auditorium
- May 1: Holtzman lab (WashU Neurology), Nusinow lab (Donald Danforth Plant Science Center)
All meetings are listed on the Office of Neuroscience Research (ONR) Calendar.
Archives of previous seasons
Clocks & Sleep Club Faculty
Faculty organizers: Erik Herzog, Paul Taghert, Dmitri Nusinow
Ryan Bogdan (WashU Psychological & Brain Sciences)
Thomas Burris (St. Louis College of Pharmacy/WashU Anesthesiology)
Yao Chen (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience)
Meaghan Creed (WashU Anesthesiology)
Erik Herzog (WashU Biology)
David Holtzman (WashU Neurology)
Michael Hughes (WashU Medicine)
Shin-Ichiro Imai (WashU Developmental Biology)
Yo-El Ju (WashU Neurology)
Daniel Kerschensteiner (WashU Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences)
István Kiss (SLU Chemistry)
Geraldine Kress (WashU Neurology)
Brendan Lucey (WashU Neurology)
Erik Musiek (WashU Neurology)
Jeanne Nerbonne (WashU Medicine)
Aaron Norris (WashU Anesthesiology)
Dmitri Nusinow (Donald Danforth Plant Science Center)
Thomas Papouin (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience)
Joshua Rubin (WashU Pediatrics)
Paul Shaw (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience)
Paul Taghert (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience)
Kelvin Yamada (WashU Neurology)
Chao Zhou (WashU Biomedical Engineering)