The Hope Center is pleased to announce that Clocks & Sleep Club now is the Hope Center Clocks & Sleep Club. This affiliation reflects an expansion of the existing group, aimed to help promote ongoing research on the role of sleep and circadian rhythms in neurodegenerative disease. The founders and organizers, Erik Herzog and Paul Taghert, will continue in their roles as the group meets monthly to discuss recent advances in the study of biological timing and sleep.
Labs working on biological rhythms include:
Erik Herzog. Molecules, cells and circuits of mammalian circadian timing.
Paul Taghert. Molecules, cells and circuits of insect circadian timing.
Dmitri Nusinow. Circadian regulation of physiology and development in plants.
David Holtzman. The role of normal and disrupted daily rhythms in amyloid beta production and Alzheimer’s Disease progression and therapies.
Michael Hughes. Daily regulation of gene expression.
Shin-Ichiro Imai. Epigenetics of circadian timing and aging.
Yo-El Ju. Sleep and neurological diseases.
István Kiss. Coupled oscillator behavior in biological and electrochemical systems.
Brendan Lucey. Sleep and Alzheimer’s disease.
Erik Musiek. The role of clock genes and circadian rhythms in neurodegeneration.
Jeanne Nerbonne. Circadian regulation of excitability and channel biology.
Joshua Rubin. Chronotherapy for brain cancer.
Paul Shaw. Genetics and benefits of sleep.
Students can sign up for and participate in Clocksclub for 1 credit at WashU.
2018/2019 Schedule, Clocks & Sleep Club
1st Friday of the month
BJC Institute of Health 9AB (unless otherwise noted)
- July 6: Chanung Wang (Holtzman Lab, WashU Neurology) “A Comparative Study of Sleep, Diurnal Patterns, and Eye Closure Between the House Mouse (Mus musculus) and African Spiny Mouse (Acomys cahirinus).”, Jeffrey Haspel (WashU Medicine) “The autophagy circadian proteome: effect of endotoxin and coordination with the proteasome”
- September 7: Jiajia Li (Hughes Lab, WashU Medicine) “Achl mediated regulation of downstream circadian mRNA Rhythms in Drosophila”, Dmitri Nusinow (Donald Danforth Plant Science Center)
- October 5: Jerrah Holth (Holtzman Lab, WashU Neurology) “The sleep-wake cycle regulates extracellular tau in mice and humans”, Paul Taghert (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience) “A circadian output circuit controls sleep-wake arousal threshold in Drosophila” (Guo et al (2018))
- November 2: Keenan Bates (Herzog Lab, WashU Biology) “Exploring the impact of placental circadian rhythms on fetal development”, Dmitri Nusinow (Donald Danforth Plant Science Center) “Photoperiodic Control of the Arabidopsis Proteome Reveals a Translational Coincidence Mechanism”
- December 7: Carmel Martin-Fairey (Herzog and England Labs, WashU Biology and Obstetrics & Gynecology), Percy Griffin (Musiek Lab, WashU Neurology)
- January 4: Fang Gao (Chen Lab, WashU Anesthesiology) “The neural circuit for contagious itch behavior in mice”
- February 1: Brian Lananna (Musiek Lab, WashU Neurology) “The circadian clock regulates astrogliosis and neuroinflammation”, Tyler Piccinni-Ash (Chen Lab, WashU Anesthesiology) “Are GRPR neurons required for innate fear?”
- March 1: Celia McKee (Musiek Lab, WashU Neurology) “The astrocyte circadian clock regulates amyloid beta deposition and degradation”
- April 5: Pat Sheehan (Musiek Lab, WashU Neurology) “Loss of Bmal1 suppresses pathology in a tauopathy model”, Maria Sorkin (Nusinow Lab, Donald Danforth Plant Science Center)“Where does the time go…and how does it get there? Identification of a novel interaction between a transport protein and core circadian clock transcription factors”
- May 10*: Anna Damato (Herzog Lab, WashU Biology) “Investigating tumor circadian biology and leveraging chronotherapy in the treatment of Glioblastoma with Temozolomide”, Eric Landsness (Lee Lab, WashU Neurology) “Rocking yourself to sleep. Review of two recent papers showing sleep enhancement with vestibular stimulation”
- CANCELLED June 7
All meetings are listed on the Office of Neuroscience Research (ONR) Calendar.
Archives of previous seasons
Clocks & Sleep Club Faculty
Faculty organizers: Erik Herzog, Paul Taghert, Michael Hughes
Thomas Burris (St. Louis College of Pharmacy/WashU Anesthesiology)
Yao Chen (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience)
Meaghan Creed (WashU Anesthesiology)
Erik Herzog (WashU Biology)
David Holtzman (WashU Neurology)
Michael Hughes (WashU Medicine)
Shin-Ichiro Imai (WashU Developmental Biology)
Yo-El Ju (WashU Neurology)
István Kiss (SLU Chemistry)
Geraldine Kress (WashU Neurology)
Brendan Lucey (WashU Neurology)
Erik Musiek (WashU Neurology)
Jeanne Nerbonne (WashU Medicine)
Dmitri Nusinow (Donald Danforth Plant Science Center)
Thomas Papouin (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience)
Joshua Rubin (WashU Pediatrics)
Paul Shaw (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience)
Paul Taghert (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience)
Kelvin Yamada (WashU Neurology)