The Hope Center is pleased to announce that Clocks & Sleep Club now is the Hope Center Clocks & Sleep Club. This affiliation reflects an expansion of the existing group, aimed to help promote ongoing research on the role of sleep and circadian rhythms in neurodegenerative disease. The founders and organizers, Erik Herzog and Paul Taghert, will continue in their roles as the group meets monthly to discuss recent advances in the study of biological timing and sleep.
Labs working on biological rhythms include:
Erik Herzog. Molecules, cells and circuits of mammalian circadian timing.
Paul Taghert. Molecules, cells and circuits of insect circadian timing.
Dmitri Nusinow. Circadian regulation of physiology and development in plants.
David Holtzman. The role of normal and disrupted daily rhythms in amyloid beta production and Alzheimer’s Disease progression and therapies.
Michael Hughes. Daily regulation of gene expression.
Shin-Ichiro Imai. Epigenetics of circadian timing and aging.
Yo-El Ju. Sleep and neurological diseases.
Daniel Kerschensteiner. Neural circuits controlling circadian rhythms and sleep.
István Kiss. Coupled oscillator behavior in biological and electrochemical systems.
Brendan Lucey. Sleep and Alzheimer’s disease.
Erik Musiek. The role of clock genes and circadian rhythms in neurodegeneration.
Jeanne Nerbonne. Circadian regulation of excitability and channel biology.
Joshua Rubin. Chronotherapy for brain cancer.
Paul Shaw. Genetics and benefits of sleep.
Students can sign up for and participate in Clocksclub for 1 credit at WashU.
2019/2020 Schedule, Clocks & Sleep Club
1st Friday of the month
BJC Institute of Health 9AB (unless otherwise noted)
- September 6: Jeffrey Haspel (WashU Medicine)“Circadian signatures in chronic lung disease”, Kerschensteiner lab (WashU Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences)
- October 4: Taghert lab (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience), Nusinow lab (Donald Danforth Plant Science Center)
- November 1: Kress lab (WashU Neurology), Musiek lab (WashU Neurology)
- December 6: Guilak lab (WashU Orthopaedic Surgery), Holtzman lab (WashU Neurology)
- January 10*: Herzog lab (WashU Biology), Colonna lab (WashU Pathology & Immunology)
- February 7: Chen lab (WashU Anesthesiology), Eric Landsness (Lee lab, WashU Neurology)
- March 6: Herzog lab (WashU Biology), Kerschensteiner lab (WashU Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences)
- April 3: Chao Zhou (WashU Biomedical Engineering), Musiek lab (WashU Neurology)
- May 1: Holtzman lab (WashU Neurology), Nusinow lab (Donald Danforth Plant Science Center)
All meetings are listed on the Office of Neuroscience Research (ONR) Calendar.
Archives of previous seasons
Clocks & Sleep Club Faculty
Faculty organizers: Erik Herzog, Paul Taghert, Dmitri Nusinow
Thomas Burris (St. Louis College of Pharmacy/WashU Anesthesiology)
Yao Chen (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience)
Meaghan Creed (WashU Anesthesiology)
Erik Herzog (WashU Biology)
David Holtzman (WashU Neurology)
Michael Hughes (WashU Medicine)
Shin-Ichiro Imai (WashU Developmental Biology)
Yo-El Ju (WashU Neurology)
Daniel Kerschensteiner (WashU Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences)
István Kiss (SLU Chemistry)
Geraldine Kress (WashU Neurology)
Brendan Lucey (WashU Neurology)
Erik Musiek (WashU Neurology)
Jeanne Nerbonne (WashU Medicine)
Aaron Norris (WashU Anesthesiology)
Dmitri Nusinow (Donald Danforth Plant Science Center)
Thomas Papouin (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience)
Joshua Rubin (WashU Pediatrics)
Paul Shaw (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience)
Paul Taghert (WashU Dept. of Neuroscience)
Kelvin Yamada (WashU Neurology)
Chao Zhou (WashU Biomedical Engineering)